- Guam Public Library System, located in Hagatna, offers Saturday story and craft times, Summer Reading Program, and ongoing book sales. Check with individual branches as to their hours as they do change from time to time.
- University of Guam (UOG) Library. You can pay an annual fee to check out books, especially good for research for older students.
- Pacific Islands University (PIU), located in Mangilao just off the back road to Andersen, has a “Friends of the Library: membership and even recently offered a special rate just for homeschoolers!
- At our Space by Faith GHSA has our own small library for borrowing/swapping
School Supply Stores:
- Faith Bookstore – The bookstore carries Christian books and bible studies, picture and chapter books for kids, music books and books about Micronesia. They have a small amount of supplemental curriculum and they recently began selling used books as well as home school curriculum. Open Monday-Saturday 10:00am – 7:00pm; Phone: 472-1265/66/60 . Located in Maite across from Shop4Less, near First Hawaiian Bank
- School Essentials – They have a wide variety of school supplies. Located at 221 Farenholt Ave., Oka Commercial Center, Tamuning; Phone:648-7673/7245
- Twinkles – You’ll find a small supply of workbooks and educational games. Located at the Guam Premier Outlet.
The Learning Resource Center / Teacher’s Resource Center (LRC/TRC):
- The Learning Resource Center (LRC) is now located in Tiyan in the very last building of Untalan Middle School. You pass EPA, WIC, Untalan entrance, GPD, Guahan Charter – go to the very end of the fence line – turn right into the entrance of the last building – the LRC is on the bottom floor – on the left side of the building. There is blue paper covering the windows. If you are going to laminate, call in advance so they can heat the machines. Call 300-2255.
- The cost of new membership is $10.00 for the school year. Home Schoolers are eligible for the teacher membership. You can’t beat their prices for copying and lamination services. A variety of die cuts are also available for free use. Bring your own paper, or purchase theirs. GHSA members go to the GHSA yahoo page to see a copy of the brochure with prices.
- Update Letter dated: August 17, 2015 Hafa Adai LRC Customers,
The LRC currently has a critical situation at this time. We do not receive any budget from GDOE and must raise our own funds to purchase teacher supplies, which are given away for free.
Our laminating services are our major source of income. At this time, the LRC does not have any significant money coming in, as all laminating machines are either under repair or permanently non-repairable.
New changes will be in effect beginning today, August 17. This is to ensure that we have incoming money in order to continue purchasing teacher supplies:
1. A one-time $10 registration fee will be charged for all new registration. This is a one-time lifetime fee that will not be charged again as long as the teacher remains in GDOE.
This $10 registration fee also includes previous LRC members who were deleted since last school year from the LRC and wish to be reinstated.
The registration fee does not apply to the following:
If you are a current member or newly registered as of August 14, 2015.
If your name is still on the LRC list.
If you are a rehired limited-term or double-dipper and your name is still on the LRC list.
2. Cardstock: Reduced from $25 to now $20 per quarter and summer. This equates to 80 sheets of cardstock per quarter and summer. You can use an additional $5 allotment on other items.
3. Copies: Reduced from $25 to now $20 per quarter and summer. This equates to 8.5 x 11, 400 copies free at 5 cents (teacher’s paper) or 286 copies free at 7 cents (LRC paper). Anything after your limit must be paid. You can use an additional $5 allotment on other items.
4. Soft paper, butcher paper, and poster boards remain the same for the $25 allotment; die-cuts are still free.
These changes are necessary in order for the LRC to receive the needed funds to continue purchasing supplies, which are given to our members for free.
Millie Quitugua, LRC Supervisor